Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The first day of school which is apparantly a holiday

I have survived my first day of classes! Yesterday was technically the first day of school but no classes were actually given. It was just a big celebration of the new first grade students and the eleventh grade students (there is no 12th grade). Everyone came to the school for a big ceremony... lots of people gave speaches, the first graders sang songs and there was a white aisle covered in rose petals for everyone to walk down. Then all of the school staff went to a first graders house and had a huge feast. This is the tradition for the first day of school and it happens all over Kyrgyzstan. We ate until we could not eat even another bite. Then we gave our wishes to the first graders mother, we sang songs and most everyone (not me) drank vodka. I sang Abba.... it was awesome!

Today classes started. I teach 7th-11th grade. It is a pretty light schedule. Only 14hours of actual classes a week so I will have plenty of time for clubs and secondary projects. I start teaching at 8am and am home by 12pm. And I am only teach Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.... Pretty sweet!

2 comments:

  1. Dad wants to know if you have seen borat in your village yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Borat is from Kazahkstan!!! DUH! Everyone knows that! :)

    ReplyDelete