Friday, August 28, 2009

I really don't know

Asel, (the peace corps safety and security coordinator) came to visit Talas this week. I freakin love her! She is so sassy! She introduced us to the governor and police force in Talas. I've always been a little wary of the police here but our meeting went great. The entire Talas City police force was there. It was a bit intimidating at first. We all had to stand up and introduce ourselves and tell where we lived and what we did. After each volunteer introduced themselves the entire police force clapped... everytime. Then at the end we took questions and they asked a city volunteer if he would have an English club for the police. It was great!

We found out this week that we helped out family stay in their home and helped our brother get to go to university. Basically, before we came our brother talked about going to University and his Uncle told him he could not go because if he moved out my sister and mother would live alone. And he said it is dangerous for them to live alone. So if my brother decided to go to university then my mother and sister would have to move in with other family members.... but then we came and everything worked out.

We also talked to them about how we wanted to live with them for our entire service and they were thrilled. They said they already thought of us as family and that we helped them to not be lonely. It was very sweet. Now if they will just let Sadie in the house everything would be perfect!

School starts Tuesday. I found out yesterday that the first day of school isnt even spent at the school. It's spent guesting at the first grade students houses. I love guesting... sitting around with a bunch of people, chatting about nothing, everyone staring at me b/c I look different. The only thing I don't like about it is how much food I have to eat! I have to eat and eat and eat some more so I don't offend anyone. Speaking of food....

We made taco's for our family yesterday and they loved them! I mean LOVED!!!! My brother told me I could make taco's everyday and he would eat them. Thomas taught him the phrase "oh buddy" on accident when they were playing a chess game. So as he was eating he just kept saying "oh buddy......ohhhh buddy!" It was so funny!

Today my sister comes back from Bishkek!! Wahoo!!! I miss her. She has been gone for a month! I can't even remember what she looks like anymore...lol! Oh and a k-16 volunteer from Talas just got engaged to a kyrgyz girl. She is really awesome. Beautiful and speaks fantastic English.

All for now! More once school starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment