Saturday, August 22, 2009

and then there was fried chicken...

August 18, 2009

I had lunch with Diego today. We went to this resturaunt that Kristen told us about. It was delicious! Fried chicken and french fries. Total comfort food... I couldn't believe it existed here! I think I talk about food too much in my blogs. I guess it's obvious what I miss most about America... lol!

Diego and I talked about our future plans and all the things we wanted to do after Peace Corps. He is the one person Thomas and I have really connected with here. We share very similar ideas and goals. Not that I can only be friends with people like me but it helps to have common interests and ideas to form a strong friendship. He is one of the few people I have met who isn't using Peace Corps as a means to an end. He is here because he believes that he can actually do something good. I feel the same way. We had a good talk.

I am excited for school to start. Although I have enjoyed the restfulness of the summer. It has been nice to be away from the constant busyness I felt in America. Always having to be doing something, working, cleaning, working, busy, busy, busy. I have had one of the most relaxing summers. It has had its stressors.... being in a different country and speaking a different language. But I love the slower pace of Kyrgyzstan. The way people don't really rush to be anywhere and don't rush to do things. It's like they have all the time in the world to finish what they started. I like that. Although I know it will probably be aggravating when people don't show up for school things on time. We'll see.

I'm so proud of the girls in my English club. They have really worked hard this summer. We went through an entire chapter in the grammar book I have. We covered a lot of material and they really retained it well. They're not conversational yet but if they keep working as hard as they are, they will be very soon.

Tomorrow I am getting together with some other volunteers for a movie night and some mexican food. Wahoo!!! I am going to share the movies and TV shows that I got from Burns. They are all gonna flip a lid! It's kind of a big deal to get new material!

I am going to put up some new pics on Facebook soon so be on the lookout!

No comments:

Post a Comment