Thursday, November 19, 2009

If i had a million dollars....

So for everyone concerned, I am over the cake incident! It was just a clash of individualism versus collectivism. Things are patched up with my family... they felt so bad, they bought us a replacement cake... not nearly as tasty but a very sweet gesture.

Thomas and I just got back from an 11 day trip to the capital. The first 6 days were spent in training sessions with all of the other volunteers from our k-17 group. The sessions were fantastic! It was a really good time to get together and discuss our frustrations and sucesses. We also had a few language sessions and a chance to take the Kyrgyz fluency test again. Thomas and I are both now officially fluent in Kyrgyz. I think that's a pretty big accomplishment for only living here and studying Kyrgyz for 8 months. We also had a chance to meet the 2 new PC staff members, Greg and Seth. They seem pretty down to earth!

On Saturday, our sessions were over and PC wasn't putting us in our hotel until Sunday night, so we stayed with Kathleen. She is a K-13 who lives in the capital and has the nicest, most cozy apartment EVER! Fritz was stayed there too.... I had never met him before but we hit it off great! It was nice to hang out with older (not old, just older) volunteers! On sunday we checked into our hotel and found that a lot of other volunteers were staying there as well... so we had plently of company. It was like a mini-vacation. I did have to go to the dentist though. But it was quite possibly the best dentist visit I have ever had. I had a cavity filled and it was completely painless. I didn't even feel the novacaine needle. For those of you who know how terrified of the dentist I am, you know this was a big deal!!! It was a great week! Now I am back at my site and pumped to get back to teaching and really try to implement some of the new strategies and lesson plans we learned. We'll see if my counterpart is as pumped as I am!


I miss you all!!! Call or email when you have time! It really means a lot to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment