Monday, May 25, 2009

Talas Update 3

May 23, 2009

Today is our last day visiting Talas. I was supposed to visit my school again this morning but I had a killer stomach ache and some accompaning diarhea... so I stayed home. There is nothing worse than having diarhea at school, in an outhouse built for 2, squatting beside one of your students... No thanks.

Thomas and I get to banya today! Banya'ing is an adventure I wish I could bring back to the states. Our family does not have a banya but the neighbor does and we get to use it for 1 hour for a whopping 40 som. That's a pretty fantastic price.

My mom called yesterday, which was awesome. I got to tell her all about our permanent site, our family, getting sick etc. Yesterday we met up with some of the volunteers for lunch. They planned a picnic in this really beautiful park nearby. We made shiskababs and grilled them over a fire. There was salad, cherries, hummus, bread and best of all blueberry muffins. Someone's mom mailed them a care package with a bunch of Jiffy Muffin Mix in it. They were amazing. We spent about 5 hours at the beautiful park trying to get a fire going and getting to know everyone. It was a nice day.

The day before yesterday, two of the volunteers took us on a tour of the city. We discovered that there are a huge variety of beans to choose from, chick peas and chicken hot dogs. Wahhooo!!! I think that I will enjoy cooking for myself occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment