Monday, May 11, 2009

I love you all!

I've gotten multiple request recently for my address to send packages to.... and I just have to say I LOVE YOU ALL!! Thanks so much for thinking of me! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! In order to make sure all goods arrive safely I stole some shipping info from another volunteers blog. It's really helpful info and might help save you some money on shipping as well....

The US Postal Service is going to be your best option for shipping packages internationally. There are two options for USPS. If your package is heavy but compact, the best option is probably to send it using the flat rate box. Go to a post office and ask for an international flat-rate box. You can then put the box together and mail it with up to 20 or 25 pounds (I forget which) of stuff and the cost will be $37 for the small size, and more (but better value) for the bigger size. If your package is light, it might be cheaper to have it shipped at the variable rate, but you'll have to check with a post office clerk.

Tape things really well. Seal up all of the openings on the box, then wrap tape lengthwise all the way underneath and around the package on either side of the main opening. This makes the box much stronger. It also may keep it from being opened by someone other than myself!

This week we have are midterm Language Proficiency Interview. We have to have a 20 minute conversation in Kyrgyz with a staff member and they score our language proficiency. This time it is just a "practice".... it is just to get us familiar with the format. But in 5 weeks we will another "real" LPI and we have to be considered "intermediate low" in order to continue on unhindered as a volunteer. After the LPI this week I'll know whether or not I need to be worried about the final LPI.

Next Tuesday we take a trip to visit our permanent sites. We will spend five days in our permanent home, getting to know our family, coworkers and students. I'm hoping for a nice relaxing break from PST but I've heard a rumor that the staff has prepared all sorts of assigments to occupy our time there. I'll let you know how it goes! I'm pretty excited about it!

1 comment:

  1. RACHEL!!! I love you guys and have been thinking of and praying for you both! I am SO SORRY we did not get to see you before you left Tally. We had a really crazy week...lice, broken bones, accidents...hell week the week before you left! I love you guys so much and I am so glad you are enjoying your adventure! Mary Arden talks of Rachel with great fondness! Love, Catherine

    ReplyDelete