Saturday, April 11, 2009

we already miss some things

April 9, 2009

Thomas and I have already come up with a few things that we anticipate missing severely in the next few months (or maybe now)! If anyone wants to send us any of the items listed below... we would love you .... forever!
If you don't have our address, just email us and we'll email it back to you!

Peanut Butter (Preferably smart balance brand)
dry mixes (cakes mix, muffin mix, scone mix, cookie mix, etc.)
Twilight book #3 and #4 (they will be out in paperback in May)
Oreos or Chips Ahoy
Scotch Tape
Chalk (for a black board)
coffee (mystic blend- good earth grounds)

We started technical training this week. Today I got to sit in on two classes in a nearby school. I observed a 5th grade math class and a 5th grade history class. It wasn't so different from an American class. The students here dress up more for school. Almost all of the girls wear skirts. Some of the boys even wear suits. There is a lot less peer to peer interaction in the lessons. For the most part the students only speak if the teacher asks a question.

We had Hub Day yesterday! Hub Day is when all of the trainees (there are now 59 of us) and our language teachers and all of the staff meet together. We go over rules, cultural norms, medical info, etc. We have Hub Day once a week and we all look forward to it because otherwise we only see the 8 other volunteers in our village.


Oh and now for the big news..........


We got a CELL PHONE!!!! WAHOOO!! I'm going to email out the number after this post! But if for some reason you don't get it, just let me know and I'll email it to you (it might be a while untill I can get to the internet again). We can't really call the US because it costs A LOT and we get a very small living allowance. BUT if you call us it is free for us to talk to you... all incoming calls are free! Just remember there is a 10 hour difference. We are 10 hours ahead of you! We also have classes everyday until five. So the best times to call are monday-saturday 6am-8am (Florida time) and Sunday 6pm-6am (Florida time). Sorry for the crappy schedule but the Peace Corps has our schedules packed!

I hope all of you will call often because I miss my friends and family! I can't wait to tell you everything!!

Tricia: I have some funny stories for you! I have been dying not being able to laugh with you.
Dooder: There is no such thing as dooder day food here! So I can't even have a pretend dooder day!
Bill: I want you to come visit soon so you can see my village and meet my family and use my outhouse!!!
Momma: You should call me on your way to work! (depending on the time ofcourse!)

No comments:

Post a Comment